The idea of these little devotionals is simple. I want to approach scripture with the understanding that God is speaking. I’m reading through the Bible and listening for God to ask me questions. I expect these questions to be fairly open-ended and plan to carry them in my mind throughout the day. I’ll share these questions with you in the hope that you find them challenging and helpful.
4 These are the generations
of the heavens and the earth when they were created,
in the day that the Lord God made the earth and the heavens.
5 When no bush of the field was yet in the land and no small plant of the field had yet sprung up—for the Lord God had not caused it to rain on the land, and there was no man to work the ground, 6 and a mist was going up from the land and was watering the whole face of the ground— 7 then the Lord God formed the man of dust from the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living creature.
From this passage I hear God asking me:
Who do you think you are?
Who do you think I am?
How does the knowledge that I made you affect…
1. your outlook?
2. your priorities?
3. your behavior toward the other people I made?
I suppose it makes sense to start by explaining who I am and what you can expect to find here.
Who I Am
My name is Lloyd Hamilton and I have recently retired from 35 years as a full-time church staffer. The first 6 years was as a youth minister and the next 29 as minister of worship. Those were my titles, but the truth is I’ve done a little bit of everything when it comes to serving on a church staff.
I’ve been married to Kathie, my high school sweetheart, since 1974 and we have 2 grown daughters and 3 (so far) grandkids. (I’m fairly confident that they will show up here from time to time.)
I love Jesus, my family, the church, worship, music, movies and Cincinnati Reds baseball. These are the things that will drive the content of this site, but I have a curiosity about a wide range of subjects so you never know what might show up here.
What You Can Expect
- I plan to write about things that I care about…whatever is on my mind at the time. I’ve already mentioned some of those things so it will likely, but not necessarily, relate to one of those areas. My plan is to write and post 2 or 3 times per week.
- The second thing I plan to do is to share links to other material that I find helpful, challenging, informative or simply entertaining.
- The third category of posts will be devotional in nature. I have this thought that, when we read scripture, we often approach the text by asking questions of it…and of God. I believe this is a helpful way to deepen our knowledge and understanding of the content. But I wonder what would happen if we turned that around? What if we read scripture to see what it (and God) is asking of us? My plan is to read through the Bible and share the questions it seems God is asking of me…to let Him examine me. I’ll share a little more about this as we go, but I plan to post one of these “God Questions” each day.
- Finally, I plan to have a page where you can find some arrangements of hymns that I’m making available for those of you who are fellow worship leaders and church musicians. I’m offering arrangements of hymns only because they are in the public domain and there is no need to deal with copyrights. These are worship band arrangements of hymns that I have written and used over the years. Check the “Hymn Arrangements” page for more details.
Thanks for stopping by and please feel free to share and comment on anything you find here. I hope you stay with me for a while and that we get to know each other better in the coming months and years as we travel across the bridge together.